Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Indian-Spiced Quinoa with Raisins and Pine Nuts and Balsamic-Glazed Carrots & Kale




Here's another quick mid-week meal for you, courtesy of Vegan Planet.

When I first tried quinoa I hated it. A couple months later I tolerated it. Now it's become one of my favourite foods! I've found that not all brands of quinoa are made equal, and some of them are so much more bitter than others, even after extensive draining and rinsing. These days I like the taste of President's Choice Organic the best. Strange, I know!



I'm really glad I've learned to love quinoa, because when it comes to grains, it's the best of the best. The high calorie content used to freak me out a little bit, admittedly, but I'm not the calorie counter I used to be. There is a difference between the calories found in a plant-based whole food than those found in a mystery meat cheeseburger and your body knows it.

Because quinoa is a complete protein and provides so much of what makes a nutritious main course all on its own, I decided that some simple steamed vegetables would do as a side dish.




You can find the recipe for the quinoa here and the recipe for the carrots and kale here.

6 comments:

jessy said...

i too have found that quinoas vary in taste. there's a store in town that sells it in bulk that i love the most - other places, it's too bitter. i think i need to pull my copy of Vegan Planet from my shelves - both the quinoa and carrots 'n kale look awesome. i keep forgetting how great Vegan Planet is. thanks for the tasty reminder!

janet @ the taste space said...

Brands of quinoa are definitely different. Thankfully I tried the PC brand first and knew I liked it. But I almost got turned off after buying some from Bulk Barn. It took me 2 years to get over my fear of quinoa... but I am glad to be back. :)

These recipes look great!

Mary said...

Jessy - It was the Bulk Barn quinoa that I couldn't stand! Wonder what that is all about. Either way I'm glad I found a brand I like.
I'm recently rediscovering Vegan Planet. When I first bought it I had a lot of misses and stopped cooking out of it...glad I decided to try again because I've found some real gems!

Janet - It was the Bulk Barn one that I couldn't stand as well! Glad to know that it wasn't just me. I remember the first time I tried it I couldn't believe it, I was wondering what on earth everyone was raving about when I could barely choke down a spoon's worth.

Sarah said...

Quinoa is such a healthy grain. I didn't like it either the first couple of times I tried it - but now I really enjoy it. I never, ever rinse it though....

Sarah said...

I love quinoa - the first couple of times I tried it didn't do it for me. I never, ever rinse quinoa though...

Mary said...

Sarah - really?? I find the taste too bitter when I don't rinse it, particularly certain brands.

Related Posts with Thumbnails