Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Menu at Thrive Juice Bar, Waterloo



I'm very pleased to report that Thrive Juice Bar, located in the Bauer Buildings in "midtown" Waterloo, has a brand new menu, offering up more vegan goodies than ever before. In fact, they are now pretty much entirely vegan! They may even be completely vegan - the only reason I hesitate to say this is because organic goat cheese is offered as a pizza topping option on their website and I'm not sure if this is just a relic from the old menu or if they have carried it over to the new one. Regardless, the way I understand it, the menu items as they stand are now all 100% vegan. There are even some raw vegan options as well!

I am very, very excited about the changes they've made. A big fan of Thrive since my very first meal there, the only teeny tiny issue we ever encoutered involved menu discrepancies regarding vegan versus vegetarian options. A couple times that we visited, there seemed to be some confusion among staff about which items were vegan and which were not and even though it's totally understandable when you have that many offerings, it made me a bit apprehensive about ordering some items after we accidentally ended up with something non-vegan. The confusion usually involved the bread products being used for certain menu items, but I'm told that they now have a reliable vegan bread supplier and all sandwiches (and other menu items) are completely vegan!

My many thanks go to Team Thrive for so diligently working toward an entirely vegan establishment.

I stopped in there for a quick smoothie over the holidays and when I spotted the menu I cursed myself for having had breakfast already. So, to celebrate the return of my appetite post-stomach flu, Paul and I popped in for lunch on Saturday afternoon and tried out their revamped veggie burger!



Veggie Burger Melt
From the menu: our house made one inch thick black bean, portobello mushroom & wild rice veggie patty - lightly toasted organic whole wheat kaiser bun with vegan daiya cheese, chipotle aioli, fresh tomato, red leaf lettuce & avocado served with vegan kettle chips & house made coleslaw.


Except on Saturday, instead of kettle chips they were serving the burgers with a wonderful salad of grilled potatoes tossed with sauteed onions, fresh greens and a vegan aioli. I should have taken a picture of it but apparently I was too busy licking the bowl clean.

Our one regret was that we didn't make it in time for their newest feature - VEGAN BELGIAN WAFFLES! Click here for a picture of them, courtesy of the Thrive Facebook page. I'm told they are available in traditional wheat as well as a gluten free option. They are served until 11am, however while in there a little birdie told us they are thinking - maybe just maybe - a move to all-day waffles might be in the near future.

They've also got tons and tons of vegan and raw vegan desserts up for the grabs now too. Since I was just coming off the flu and I stupidly resolved to consume less sweets in 2012, I didn't get a chance to try any this time. I did indulge my sweet tooth with some fruit, though - with one of their many fruit smoothies:



Speaking of smoothies, Thrive has also launched a "Green Leaf Project" for 2012, in an effort to cut down on waste and do their part to contribute to a more sustainable planet. Bring your own cup, mug or canister and receive 10% off of your drink order!

If you're in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, stop by Thrive and let me know which new menu items you tried - can't wait to head back and fall face-first into those waffles of theirs.

Thrive Juice Bar
The Bauer Buildings
105 – 191 King Street South
Waterloo, ON
(519) 208-8808
Find out about daily specials via Facebook and Twitter.

5 comments:

jess said...

how awesome! what a great review! i'm rarely in waterloo, but i'll have to keep thrive in mind in the event that we end up there in the future.

glad you're recovered from the flu - i had a brief 24 hour viral visit last week and i was reminded how awful it is to feel awful!

Bliss Doubt said...

Love that discount for bringing your own container.

The veggie burger looks stupendous.

Kim said...

Oh my friend sooooo looking forward to trying the food out. Terry got my bug and is finally feeling better so we're going there for lunch tomorrow & I'm super excited!!!
YUM

Sarah B @ Bake + Bike said...

Mmm veggie burger. The accompanying salad sounds great too!!

I'm surprised I haven't tried Thrive yet, considering the number of times I go to Vincenzo's right around the corner...haha.

Buy HGH said...

This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years.


buy hgh

Related Posts with Thumbnails