Friday, January 20, 2012

Vermicelli, Chickpeas and Vegetables in a Creamy Curry Sauce



I'm starting to feel like all I talk about/post about is curry. I wasn't joking a few posts back when I said I was obsessed with it. If you read the blog, you already know all that I know about curry and why I love it so much, so I won't go down that road again.

Instead, I will talk about another food item that I've come to love: Rice noodles! Especially vermicelli rice noodles.

My love for them is much more simple than my love for curry. I love them because they are gluten-free, and I love them because they are so stinking cheap. Like, obscenely cheap. One pack cost us about $1.00 and I made three meals out of it. They are also super easy to find. Even our quite poorly stocked local supermarket had a bunch of varieties in their international aisle. I've, of course, eaten them many times in many restaurants, but I'm new to the world of cooking with vermicelli.

Up to this point, I've been quite fond of using soba and udon noodles in stir-fries and other Asian-inspired dishes. However, when I pledged to cut down on gluten in 2012 I thought it might be a good idea to search for alternatives. Udon noodles are always wheat-based. Soba noodles are supposed to be gluten-free because they are made from buckwheat, however a lot of the mainstream brands seem to be made with a combination of buckwheat and regular wheat flour, making them not gluten free. While I'm (quite obviously) not completely gluten-free, when I do find a reasonable substitute to a gluten-based product, I almost always bring it in. As such, I'm super excited to now have vermicelli as a part of my noodle arsenal.

So great is my love for these skinny little noodles that they've made their way into many different dishes, like this tofu noodle soup that I made a couple weeks ago!

The recipe for this meal comes from Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson, but sadly I've not been able to find a digital copy to share with you all.



I honestly probably could have stopped right here with the recipe and been more than satisfied with the dinner - veggies and chickpeas and curry, what's not to love? The recipe doesn't call for broccoli, but whenever I make one of these meals I try and make it a fridge-cleaner, tossing in spare veggies that have accumulated throughout the week so I can be sure that they don't go to waste. I also put in a teaspoon of red pepper powder to zip things up a bit.



While the curried veggies would have been good on their own, this creamy sauce (courtesy of silken tofu and coconut milk) transforms them into something great.

If you have a copy of Vegan Planet, be sure to check out the recipe on page 264.

2 comments:

Joey said...

With you all the way - viva curry!

Mary said...

Hurray for curry!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails